The Law Offices of Jon H. Powell focuses primarily on the following areas of the law:
- Divorce and Family Law
- Wills, Trusts and Estates
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Real Estate
- Business Set-ups (Corporations, LLCs, Partnerships)
- General Civil Litigation
Divorce and Family Law. We help people during the most stressful times in their lives. Family disputes and family breakups are trying times for everyone in the family. This is the time you need an experienced Jackson, Mississippi divorce lawyer and an experienced Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney. Common areas of dispute in divorce and family law include:
- Child Custody, Support and Visitation: We help people during the most bitter and difficult of family disputes – that is, disputes involve child custody, child support, and visitation rights. An experienced child custody and child support attorney is needed at the outset of any custody fight. You don't want to regret choosing the wrong lawyer when fighting for your children.
- Alimony: We help people who are about to be "single" again who need financial help to make ends meet. Alimony, once a major issue in most divorces, has been reduced to secondary importance (assuming it even becomes an issue) due to our courts' adoptions of the principle of equitable distribution of assets. Our experience in divorce and family law attorney allows us to determine in the early stages of a divorce whether the divorce will involve the award of alimony. Additionally, and of equally importance, is the type of alimony to be awarded in a divorce and the consequences of death, remarriage and taxation of each.
- Equitable Distribution: Most divorces involve equitable distribution of assets, which is the manner in which the courts divide marital assets. Because of the significant impact that equitable distribution has on alimony, it is import to have an experienced Mississippi divorce lawyer representing your interests.
- Contempt and Modification: We help people enforce prior Court orders, and we help people modify previous orders when there exists good cause to do so. Additionally, in contempt actions, in many cases we can ask the Court to make the person who is not complying with the Court order to pay you the attorney's fees you expended for bringing the contempt action.
- Termination of Parental Rights: We handle termination of parental rights cases. Normally, this involves a parent who has completely abandoned their child. These cases also regularly involve a step-parent who is willing to adopt the child immediately following the termination of parental rights.
- Adoption: We represent people who are involved in private adoptions. Though the circumstances often vary as to the adoption, we can help you through the adoption process to ensure that the adoption cannot be later challenged – providing peace of mind for both the adopting parents and the child.
- Domestic Abuse: Unfortunately, abuse within families and dating couples is a fact of life these days for far too many families. Fortunately, however, the Mississippi Legislature has attempted to address the hole that was in the law with regards to protecting loved ones from violence within the home. Having represented numerous clients who have been subjected to domestic violence, we know how to get you the protection you need and to help stop the violence and threats of violence.
- Guardianships and Conservatorships: We regularly handle guardianships and conservatorships. Additionally, we continue to represent the clients in these matters on an ongoing basis to assist the clients in filing any required annual accountings. Whether you have a need for a guardianship of a child or a conservatorship for an aging or ill family member, we can assist you in these matters.
The Clarion-Ledger newspaper, the daily newspaper read across the State of Mississippi, named Jon H. Powell as the Best Divorce Attorney in the State of Mississippi for 2015. Also, in April of 2015, Jon was named as a Top 10 Attorney Award for the State of Mississippi by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys.
Wills and Trusts. A good estate plan is an integral part of any good financial plan. We offer people the peace of mind that comes with helping you create and implement a plan for your estate. We listen to your wants and desires, and we structure a plan that provides you with the greatest security to meet your needs in the simplest but most efficient and effective way. Whether you are single, a family with young children, or in your later years planning for retirement and your golden years, we can help you create a plan so that your loved ones (and not the government) end up with your assets after your death. We also prepare Powers of Attorney and Advanced Health Care Directives.
Probate and Estate Administration. While a good estate plan lessens the likelihood of having to probate your estate, there are some estates that require probating. Whether the estate involves a Will (i.e., a testate estate) or no Will (i.e., an intestate estate), let our experience in handling the estate proceedings work for you. As a Jackson, Mississippi estate and probate attorney, we regularly handle estates for families who need to work through the business of closing the final business affairs of your loved one.
Real Estate. Having practiced real estate law for more than 18 years, we routinely handle matters that are important to protecting your investment in real property. Whether it is the drafting of a deed, the preparation of an easement, the preparation of covenants, the review and representation of you in drafting a real estate contract and at closing, or a real estate dispute, we can help you.
Business Set-ups and Corporate Law. We regularly form limited liability companies, corporations, limited partnerships and general partnerships, and draft operating agreements, bylaws, and partnership agreements for our clients. We also represent people entering into and leaving their businesses, and serve as general counsel for businesses. Additionally, we regularly serve as registered agents and handle the annual filings necessary with the Mississippi Secretary of State to keep the businesses in good standing.
General Civil Litigation. We handle a wide variety of cases involving civil litigation, both from the plaintiffs and defense side. Our courtroom experience and knowledge of the law give our clients the edge in being successful in any litigated dispute.
Allow us, your Rankin County, Mississippi law firm, to help you in all your legal problems. With offices in Flowood, Mississippi, we are located to represent people in all areas of Mississippi.
Contact my office today at 601-706-2915, or contact me by email at Jon@JonHPowell.com.